Spring is coming - copy space

Did you know that many of the plants and bulbs you may be planting for the months ahead can be toxic to your pets? Caution should be taken to ensure that your pet remains healthy and safe, both through fall and in the months ahead.

Poisonous Plants and Toxic Bulbs

To keep your pet safe, both while planting and as spring begins to bloom, know what is toxic to your dog or cat. The following list includes common bulbs, plants and flowers that can be toxic to your pet:

  • Daffodils
  • Tulips
  • Crocus
  • Hyacinth
  • Azalea
  • Rhododendrons
  • Buttercup
  • Chives
  • Clematis
  • Lilies
  • Ivy
  • Grapes
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Hops
  • Iris
  • Lupine
  • Poppy

While this is not an exhaustive list, these are common plants that can be found in many yards and gardens throughout the year.

Protecting Your Pet

Thankfully, you don’t have to forego gardening to keep your pets safe from the plants and flowers you want to grow. Keep the following tips in mind while planting, and you should be able to avoid a problems.

  • Keep your pet indoors while planting, since many dogs will be inclined to dig up what you’ve planted. To avoid temptation, simply remove your pet from the area.
  • Cover bulbs and starts with mulch for the winter.
  • Fence off the area where toxic plants grow, especially while the dirt is fresh.
  • Try to plant toxic plants and flowers in areas your dog is not likely to spend much time, like the front yard.

Common Symptoms of Pet Poisoning

One of the most important parts of saving your pet from a tragic fate is recognizing the signs that he or she has been poisoned. The following symptoms should be treated as a pet emergency, especially if there is evidence that your dog or cat has consumed a toxic substance:

  • Sudden and excessive vomiting and diarrhea
  • Pale gums
  • Excessive thirst or urination
  • Increased, frantic breathing or panting
  • Uremic breath (breath smelling of urine)
  • Hyperthermia (elevated body temperature)
  • Hypersalivating
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Seizure
  • Collapse

If your pet is exhibiting these symptoms, please call us for an emergency consultation immediately.


If your pet has gotten into something toxic, try to remain calm. If your pet is not presenting emergency symptoms, take a moment to review the Pet Poison Helpline website for a complete list of pet toxins and their symptoms. You can also call the Animal Poison Control Center at 1-800-213-6680.

If your pet has ingested a toxin or is showing signs of poisoning, please call us immediately for an emergency consultation.

Please, don’t wait to get your pet help. The sooner we can flush the toxins from your pet’s system, the better the chance he or she has for a full recovery.