While it may not feel like it quite yet, it is officially spring! March is also Poison Prevention Month, so we thought it might be a good time to remind you of some of the more common spring toxins that your pets might be exposed to. Keep the following in mind as the weather turns:
Flowers and plants
While it is enjoyable to see all the signs of new life during the spring, many plants are dangerous to animals. Most kinds of lilies (including Easter lilies) are toxic to cats, so think twice before bringing them into the home. Check out the ASPCA’s list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
Those baskets of treats may bring us people lots of delight, but they can bring our pets an upset tummy or worse. Easter grass can cause an intestinal blockage for curious dogs and cats, and chocolate and the artificial sweetener xylitol (an ingredient in sugar-free candies and gums) can be deadly.
Many “people foods” are not good for our pets to consume. Many pets experience digestive upset (vomiting and diarrhea) after eating a “treat.” Some may experience pancreatitis as well, which is a serious problem that may require hospitalization. Think twice before sharing your Easter ham with your pup!
Cleaning supplies and chemicals
Spring cleaning may be on your mind, but be careful when using household cleaners around your pets. An unattended mop bucket or a curious kitty walking across a counter wet with cleaning solution can lead to local irritation, digestive upset, or worse. Consider using pet-friendly cleaning alternatives to help lessen the chances of problems.
Enjoy the spring and keep your pets safe. We hope to be welcoming warm weather soon! Further questions? Contact Billings Animal Family Hospital in Billings, MT 406-245-4772.