halloween pet safety


Ghosts, goblins, and ghouls … There are lots of scary things lurking in the shadows this Halloween. Thankfully, none of them are really a risk toward Halloween safety. There are, however, some Halloween pet hazards that you should still be on the lookout for.

This tasty Halloween treat should be for people only. Chocolate, especially dark or baking chocolate, can cause everything from vomiting and diarrhea to heart arrhythmias and death depending on the dose.

Open doors, strangers, and unfamiliar activities can lead to nervous or curious pets who may sneak out when you are not paying attention. When opening your door to hand out candy, be sure your pets are secure in the house.

Halloween costumes
If you dress up your pet for Halloween be sure that the costume fits well. Costumes must also not obstruct vision, hearing, or breathing. Always supervise your pet when it is dressed up so that it does not become tangled in the costume or chew off pieces.

Artificial sweeteners
Beware of xylitol. Even just a small amount of this artificial sweetener in baked goods, candy, or gum could be deadly to your pet.

Halloween plants
While Halloween decorations like pumpkins and corn are not necessarily toxic, a pet who ingests them could experience digestive upset or a serious gastrointestinal tract obstruction.

Wires and electrical cords

Halloween decorations often have to be plugged in, resulting in cords in places that normally do not have them. Make sure any cords are out of reach so that pets cannot chew or become entangled in them.

Glowing jack-o-lanterns may be spooky, but be careful that a curious pet does not knock over lit candles. Consider alternative light sources.

Halloween decorations
Decorations like tinsel, ribbons, and other potentially ingestible items should kept out of reach from curious pets.